It’s about time! I can just feel my inner child squealing with excitement at the news that we are finally getting a sequel to Finding Nemo! It’s hard to believe that the movie of my childhood was released 10 years ago because that means I was only 11 years old. And that means that time has flown by but I’m just as stoked for the sequel as I was for the original. Believe me, I will be sitting up in that theater with my twenty-something friends with a little girl grin on my face. I feel like the movie gods from my childhood are finally answering my prayers because I have long-awaited follow-ups to Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo and couldn’t be more thrilled that it’s actually happening. Although we won’t be seeing Finding Dory on the big screen until 2015, there are many reasons to be super pumped about this.
1. More Ellen Degeneres. A Finding Nemo sequel clearly means that Ellen will be back as the voice of adorable Dory and that means there are many laughs to look forward to. Ellen has been campaigning for a sequel for years, even joking that she’s “not mad it took this long. I know the people at Pixar were busy creating Toy Story 16, but the time they took was worth it. The script is fantastic, and it has everything I loved about the first one: It’s got a lot of heart, it’s really funny, and the best part is — it’s got a lot more Dory.” [via CBSNews] I couldn’t agree more!
2. Finding Nemo taught us the value of friendship. When Nemo was lost and it was up to his dad, Marlin, to find him he only had one friend to rely on and that was Dory. He may have not understood her at times and she may have gotten on his nerves but Dory was a true friend when Marlin was in need. And now, judging from the title, it appears that now it’s Marlin’s turn to be there for Dory in her time of need. At the end of the day, we learned an important lesson from Finding Nemo that whether you’re in a good mood or a bad one, a real friend will always be there for you.
3. We’ll look forward to more movie lines that we quote in our everyday lives. Don’t lie, you know that you pretended everything around was your “Squishy.” It’s a unique thing when one movie can unite so many people and that’s what Finding Nemo did for me and my friends way back when. All you’d hear in class back at middle school was “he touched the butt,” “escape” being pronounced “es-cah-pay” and people pretending they knew how to speak whale. I can only hope that the originality and innocent humor from the first movie will come back in true form for Finding Dory.
4. We’ll get to see some of our old friends again. From the hilarious father-son turtle duo Crush and Squirt to to Bruce, the vegetarian shark, we can only hope that these fan favorites will be back in Finding Dory. I hope to see the tank gang from ole’ 42 Wallaby Way somehow make their way back to the great wide ocean and join Nemo in the search for Dory. Every character has their own loveable personality and I can’t wait to see them altogether again!
5. Dory gave the best advice to get us through the day. When in doubt, just keep swimming. Dory never let anything get her down for long and she relied on her motto to get her through any of life’s obstacles. Even though I’m not the best swimmer, I often catch myself saying “just keep swimming” when I’m studying for a huge test or caught up in a pretty rough day when nothing seems to be going right. There are movies that come and go and you don’t think about them anymore and then there are ones that stick with you, even 10 years later. That’s probably why it doesn’t seem like it was a decade ago that ‘Finding Nemo’ came out because we’re still incorporating elements from the movie into our lives today. Sequels can be tricky but I’m really hoping they do the original justice and make Finding Dory just as funny, enjoyable and unforgettable.
Lovelies, what was your reaction to hearing about Finding Dory finally coming out? Are you just as excited as I am? Image source, Image source, Image source, Image source, Image source, Image source