One of my favorite trends right now is the Peter Pan collar. I’m bordering on obsessed…which I guess it’s because they always make me want to twirl around in a flowerbed.
But does that mean I want to pay an arm and a leg for new blouses and sweaters? No! Nor do I want to spend upwards of $40 on one of those fancy removable collars.
My easy solution? I made one myself!
I stumbled across this genius DIY idea from HonestlyWTF at an opportune time, as it turns out. I’ve been struggling to find a pink dress with a white collar (so that I can dress up as this girl), before I realized I could take the pink dress I already have and add my own collar! Saves me time and money, and I get to personalize it how I want!
What you’ll need:
- Collar fabric of choice. (I chose felt)
- A button (preferably one with a little loop on the back, instead of the hole-y kind)
- Trace and cut out each collar lapel from your fabric. You can use this template [via HonestlyWTF] if you’d like — I didn’t want the scallops, so I modified it a bit!
- Make a hole at each end of both lapels. You want each lapel’s holes to line up with the other’s.
- Bring the wide end of each lapel together, and align the holes.
- Push the button’s hook through the holes, and sew it into place in the back.
- Using two equal lengths of ribbon, loop them through the holes on the outer ends of the lapels. Tie them or use a hot glue gun to secure each ribbon to it’s lapel.
- Slip the collar around your neck, and tie the ribbons in a bow.
- Twirl around in a flowerbed!
Not as polished as it could be, but I’ll keep working on it!
What do you Lovelies think? It’s so easy, and you really can’t mess it up!