18-year-old Gaby Scanlon of Lancaster went out on Thursday night planning to have a good time with her friends. Unfortunately, after complaining of breathlessness and unbearable stomach pain, she was rushed to the hospital where surgeons were forced to remove the girl’s stomach in order to save her life. The cause of this horrid incident? A cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.
Liquid nitrogen is usually used to create fog for illusion or to freeze things quickly such as ice cream or removing a wart. On the night of Gaby’s incident, she consumed a cocktail which contained liquid nitrogen to give it a dramatic, fog-like look.
When liquid nitrogen touches flesh, it immediately creates frostbite, which is what happened to Scanlon’s stomach. Since the liquid nitrogen was consumed while still in its liquid form, it turned into gas inside Gaby’s stomach and would not have stopped, causing her stomach to burst if she had not gotten to the hospital when she did.
Gaby Scanlon was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and is still in serious condition.
This is an unfortunate event that can easily happen to anyone if they are not careful of what they put into their body. Beware of the dangers of liquid nitrogen and always be mindful of what is in your drinks.
What do you think of Gaby’s tragic event?