It’s almost time for MTV’s biggest event of the year: THE VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS! As always, we’re in for a night of standout musical performances and jaw-dropping fashion. Remember Lady Gaga’s infamous meat dress? Or how about the time P!nk flew through the air on a trapeze while singing her hit, “Sober?” Can you even image where pop culture would be without the “Kanye shrug?” To sum it all up, the VMAs are always unpredictable!
However, one thing is for sure: funny man Kevin Hart will keep the crowd roaring with laughter as this year’s host. While the lineup features performances by VMA veterans such as Green Day and Alicia Keys, British pop-tarts One Direction and R&B crooner Frank Ocean will take the stage for the first time. To get you pumped for the show, check out some of the craziest, sexiest and most memorable VMA performances from the past 11 years.
1. Eminem, “The Real Slim Shady”/ “The Way I Am” (2000)
The rapper made his VMA debut with such a huge legion of Slim Shady imitators, we were forced to ask the most obvious question: “Would the real Slim Shady please stand up?”
2. Mya, P!nk, Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Missy Elliott, “Lady Marmalade” (2001)
With enough lingerie to make Victoria’s Secret jealous, the Fab Five seduced the crowd with the ’70s classic.
3. Britney Spears, “I’m A Slave 4 U” (2001)
Three words: Albino. Burmese. Python. #nuffsaid
4. P. Diddy featuring Usher, Busta Rhymes, Ginuwine and Pharrell Williams, “Bad Boy For Life,” “I Need A Girl, Part 1,” “I Need A Girl, Part 2,” “Pass The Courvoisier” (2002)
To call this performance an “extravaganza” would be an understatement. Dancers were bouncing off the walls–literally!
5. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Madonna and Missy Elliott, “Like A Virgin,” “Hollywood,” “Work It” (2003)
When two Pop princesses come together to pay homage to their queen, things tend to get a little freaky. Three-way smooch, anyone?
6. Kanye West featuring Chaka Khan, Syleena Johnson and John Legend, “Jesus Walks,” “All Falls Down,” “Through The Wire” (2004)
Here’s a refreshing flashback to Kanye pre- “TaylorGate.” Did anyone spot John Legend on the keyboard?
7. Mariah Carey featuring Jermaine Dupri, “Shake It Off,” “We Belong Together” (2005)
When the Best-selling female artist of the ’90s performs Billboard’s “Song of the Decade,” nothing but greatness is to be expected.
8. Justin Timberlake featuring Timbaland, “My Love,” “SexyBack” (2006)
Lovelies, there is only one, I repeat ONE, man that has the ability to bring sexy back. I give you, JT.
9. Chris Brown featuring Rihanna, “Wall to Wall,” “Umbrella,” “Kiss Kiss” (2007)
The former couple sure knew how to rock the crowd, eh?…eh…eh.
10. T.I. featuring Rihanna, “Whatever You Like,” “Live Your Life” (2008)
Who knew T.I. and Rihanna would provide us with such sage advice?
11. Taylor Swift, “You Belong With Me” (2009)
T.Swift never let us see her sweat. Following the infamous interruption, the crimson-lipped, country star took to the streets of NYC to perform her hit.
12. Beyonce, “Sweet Dreams,” “Single Ladies” (2009)
All my single lovelies, now put your hands up!
13. Lady Gaga “Paparazzi” (2009)
Now, I’m all for metaphors and symbolism. But Gaga was pushing it! *Sigh.* Little did we know that was only the beginning.
14. Eminem featuring Rihanna, “Not Afraid,” “Love The Way You Lie” (2010)
While Eminem always brings the fire, you can count on RihRih to make a performance ice cold!
15. Adele, “Someone Like You” (2011)
Adele proves that you don’t always need flashing lights and killer dance moves to win over a crowd.
*(BONUS)16. Beyonce, “Love On Top” (2011)
Come on! I had to include the most momentous announcement in VMA history! Besides, the Beyhive sure was abuzz the night Beyonce revealed she was pregnant!
Lovelies, what is your favorite VMA performance? Whose performance are you looking forward to?