I’m not really sure how or when it started, but my boyfriend and I have this weird inside joke where we have fits of talking like James Cageny. Sometimes this lasts for hours, and we just start making up works that sound like old-timey slang words, but aren’t. I can’t wait to use words from this list just so I can one-up him next time. “Dont be a yella-bellied lobbygow! I need ya to go to the market and pick up some milk or I’ll give ya the wind, ya see?”
[via Mental Floss]
- In the ketchup: Operating at a deficit
- John Hollowlegs: A hungry man [hobo use]
- Lobbygow: One who loafs around an opium den in hopes of being offered a free pipe
- Happy cabbage: A sizable amount of money to be spent on self-satisfying things
- Zib: A nondescript nincompoop
- Give someone the wind: To jilt a suitor with great suddenness
- The zings: A hangover
- Butter and egg man: A wealthy, unsophisticated, small-town businessman who tries to become a playboy, especially when visiting a large city
- Cluck and grunt: Eggs and ham
- Off the cob:Corny
You can continue reading this list and learning new words on Mental Floss.
Would you ever use any of these words? Should we bring them back?