I’m full of first world problems today. If you’re anywhere near the tri-state area, I feel for you, because this heat wave is definitely not being kind to NYC both in sights and in smells (deodorant, people, it’s a beautiful thing!).
On top of the ridiculous heat, all of my college’s buildings are on energy conservation, in attempts to avoid a blackout. In an effort not to sound like a whiny brat, I do support this, but I don’t support sweating in my own room since the air conditioner is off until seven at night.
I turned on my computer, to find, alas, that my internet was down. For such a large university, my Wi-Fi connection never seems to want to work. It will ask me to login over and over for a good thirty minutes, though it shows that the connection I am receiving is fine yet I’m not able to use it. I’m also not the only sad soul that this has happened to.
While I was hot & annoyed this afternoon, I came up with a list of things one can do when all of the modern luxuries of the world are treating you poorly. Gasp, I had to act like a person without technology today! Or as I like to call it ‘severely limited’ technology…
1. Yell at your computer and ask it why it won’t work
- Maybe this one is just me… but it’s how I spent about the first ten minutes before I decided I should probably be a little more productive
2. Dance around naked
- I’m not usually the biggest proponent of dancing naked. Then again, this is the first time in years I haven’t had any roommates. So I blasted my IPhone to its loudest setting and shimmied away to my ‘feel good’ playlist. It only lasted about three songs, and made me feel hotter than I had been, but it was a nice release. Cosmopolitan magazine would be proud!
3. Clean out your closet & donate to Goodwill
- I happen to have goodwill bins close to my apartment – I love donating my slightly used clothing that I know I will never wear again. With nothing better to do, I found quite a few items that are destined for better homes than my over cramped closet.
4. Clean your bathroom!
- You are hot. You want water, therefore, clean the bathroom. One word = shower! A win-win situation.
5. Read a book
- I couldn’t help but put this in. Escape your stuffy world and fall into the lives of a fictional character. It’s one of my favorite hobbies!
6. Paint a picture… or color in a coloring book
- However artistic you are, flaunt it.
7. ANYTHING! (That doesn’t require too much technology or cold air.)
While my Wi-Fi lockout only lasted about forty five minutes, it was nice to get some of my chores accomplished, and realize that there are slightly more important things in life than loving my new Netflix account. Find the humor in this post and create your own list of things to do when technology inevitably fails you!
Lovelies, what do you do when your technology is weighing you down?