Here are the six most common mistakes when it comes to dental hygiene.
1. Snapping your floss Instead of snapping floss between your teeth, you should gently guide it in a zig-zag motion between your teeth. Always be careful not to push too hard against your gums.
2. Brushing too hard This can cause your gums to recede and your teeth to be more sensitive. A soft or extra-soft toothbrush might help.
3. Brushing too soon after a meal You should wait about 30 minutes after eating to brush your teeth. This allows your enamel to harden, since foods weaken the enamel.
4. Starting brushing in the same place every time Most people start brushing in the same spot, and then they tend to get lazy at the same spot. Switching up your starting place makes it so your teeth get brushed more evenly.
5. Skipping the dentist If you’re afraid of the dentist, ask how the tools work or try to bring humor to the situation. It will alleviate some anxiety you may have.
6. Eating too many “tooth destroyers” Many candies, sugar-free gums and drinks that are acidic can cause dental erosion. You should swish water for 15 to 20 seconds after eating or drinking acidic foods or beverages.
Are you making of the common dental mistakes above? If so, how many?