Red lipstick is a great look for almost any occasion, but one wrong move and you look like a toddler who got into her mother’s makeup. Avoid this mistake with this College Lifestyle Beauty How-To, and rock red lips at your next party, or just to your Friday morning class.
1. Pick the right place. The most important part of wearing red lipstick is picking the right shade of red, so try before you buy! This is the time to bring a friend and ask the saleslady for help. Think Sephora, not CVS.
3. Exfoliate. For long-lasting color, you want to make sure that your lips are smooth. Exfoliate with an old toothbrush or a lip scrub, like Fresh Brown Sugar Lip Polish. Pat on your favorite lip balm, and let set for a few minutes.
4. Use a lip brush. Yes, it’s sexy to watch a woman apply her lipstick directly. But with such a dramatic color, there’s just too much potential for failure. Use a lip brush, taking special care to avoid going outside the lip line. Fill in any messy sections with the stick. Try this one by Maybelline, only $5.69.
5. Wear lip gloss. This step is optional, but highly recommended. Wear a lip gloss in the exact shade as your lipstick for long-lasting color. If you prefer a matte look, just a hint of clear gloss in the center of your bottom lip will make your lips look fuller.
6. Finish the rest of your makeup. Red lips are the focus of this look, so keep the rest of your face subtle. Focus on achieving a clear-looking complexion, and a strong brow for some balance. Pat on some beige shadow and mascara. If you’d like, in lieu of blush, dot your cheeks with the lipstick and blend well.
7. Be confident! Red lipstick draws a lot of attention. Smile graciously, and own it. Oh, and try to make sure it stays off your teeth.
Sasha Graffagna is a junior at NYU majoring in Journalism and Comparative Literature. She has worn red lipstick once or twice, and loved it.
Lovelyish asks: Are you a fan of red lipstick? What shades and brands are your favorites?