The force in those little fake tongue rings have enough might to rip intestines and other important bits if swallowed. According to The Frisky, the 13-year-old’s doctor called the potential gut-shredding the “equivalent of a gunshot abdominal wound.” Wow.
Although the CDC has trumpeted the dangers of magnetic tongue rings for six years, teens continue to use them as a placeholder until they turn legal age. I remember scaring the hell out of my parents at age 11 when I returned from a mall trip with a magnetic ear cartilage “piercing.” I liked the look of it and attempted to keep it in on occasion. However, the pain of the ensuing pressure would make my ear really hot and give me headaches, so I quit. When my parents started allowing more piercings, I never made the cartilage one permanent.
What do you think about magnetic earrings? A cool, noncommittal way to enjoy more jewelry or a weak attempt to mimic a ballsy decision?