Hello, Lovelies! For you film fanatics out there, here’s what coming at you this weekend in theaters and all the movie news from this past week. I love movies and movie opinions! Let’s DISCUSS! Within: the first official set photo from The Great Gatsby, James Franco tells you what he thought of Breaking Dawn, and the trailer for the Jason Segel and Emily Blunt-starring The Five Year Engagement. First, Robert Downey, Jr. would like to welcome you to the weekend with one of two franchise sequels…
NEW IN THEATERS! OUT TODAY!
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, 2h 9m, PG-13. Guy Ritchie is back and slo-mo directing the crap out of Robert Downey, Jr’s Sherlock and his trusty, good-looking sidekick played by Jude Law. The evil character Moriarty surfaces in the film, along with Swedish The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo star Noomi Rapace. Is anyone still wondering how the literary character Sherlock Holmes got to be the the center of an action movie franchise?
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, 2h 13m, PG-13. In other action franchise news, Tom Cruise resurfaces as Ethan Hunt and has brought along The Incredibles director Brad Bird! I’ll be honest: I love a good action flick, and besides the second movie, most of the Mission: Impossible films have been enjoyable. Word on the street is if you see this movie in an IMAX theater this opening weekend only, you also get the first six minutes of the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises!
- Carnage, 1h 19m, R. If action isn’t your game, perhaps you’d like a thoughtful, play-based drama? Infamous director Roman Polanski directs Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly and Christoph Waltz in a film about two couples arguing over their children. Sounds like a great cast but somewhat of a snoozefest plot, right?
What will you be seeing this weekend, Lovelies?
ALL THE MOVIE NEWS THAT’S FIT TO PRINT!
- You’ll be happy to know that Ryan Gosling got not just one but TWO Golden Globe nominations as lead actor, one for his dramatic turn in The Ides of March and one for his comedic turn in Crazy, Stupid Love. Check out the rest of the nominees at the link. [via The Boston Globe]
- Many people are miffed, including myself, that Gosling wasn’t even nominated for a Screen Actor’s Guild Award this year – but the SAG Awards usually blow anyway, in my opinion. No Fassbender? For Shame! Check out the nominees at the link. [via The Chicago Tribune]
- Everybody’s favorite “I will do everything and anything” dude, James Franco, has written a review comparing Breaking Dawn to The Descendants. It has a flair for the feminist, and I can’t help but dig it — read it at the link. [via The Paris Review]
- Baz Luhrmann and cast have been working hard down under in Australia for The Great Gatsby. Though we’ve caught glimpses of the cast in costume before, here’s a first official photo from the movie starring Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan. What do you say? It’s so glamorous! I DIE.
- And finally, here’s the trailer for The Five Year Engagement, which stars and was co-written by that lovable lug Jason Segel, about a long, and apparently hilarious, engagement with Emily Blunt. What do you think, Lovelies?
What other movie news are you talking about this week? LET’S TALK.