Hey Lovelies, it’s playlist time. I bet a lot of you are taking the cheap and thoughtful route this year and making awesome mixtapes for your loved ones. I can spend hours meticulously crafting the perfect playlist, especially if the mixtape is a gift for someone I have feelings for. Here are my top 10 songs for the crush mixtape.
1. “With Arms Outstretched” by Rilo Kiley Jenny Lewis sings her pretty heart out on this track to a male-friend who is, for some reason, not making the jump to ask her out. The lyrics “and if you want me, you better speak up/ I won’t wait,” couldn’t be more straightforward.
2. “You Make My Dreams” by Hall & Oates Yep, this throwback is a real man-slayer. Just like the scene in 500 Days of Summer, this song exemplifies what guys feel when they get butterflies about a girl. It’s totally acceptable for you to strategically plant the feeling into his mixtape.
3. “Heart It Races” by Dr. Dog This is actually a cover of an Architecture in Helsinki song, but Dr. Dog’s version feels like the first time you hold hands with someone you like in front of your friends. You know exactly what I’m talking about.
4. “You Really Gotta Hold On Me” by She & Him Zooey and M. Ward might have the two most vintage and romantic voices since the original version of this song. If your beau doesn’t want to cuddle and watch black-and-white movies for the rest of the day after hearing this song, he probably isn’t worth your time.
5. “Kick Drum Heart” by The Avett Brothers The Avett Brothers tend to be a little more on the folk-side of things, but this song is so playful and appropriately employs a kick drum that feels like your heart does when you unexpectedly run into your crush.
6. “Elevator Love Letter” by Stars This song plays out from the perspective of both a girl and boy singing about wanting to spend time with that special person and never wanting to leave. The lyric “Don’t go/ Say you’ll stay/ Spend the lazy Sunday,” has always resonated with me in that way.
7. “You and I” by Ingrid Michaelson Ingrid, a ukulele and a cute ditty about being broke and in love are the perfect ingredients to a giddy new relationship. It sounds like a girly choice and he may not admit to it, but he loves this song.
8. “Us” by Regina Spektor Regina had a dream about you and your crush and wrote a song about it. Help your crush see the fantasy too so you can both make it a reality.
9. “Anyone Else But You” by Moldy Peaches Of course the Juno song had to make it on this list. This duet is equal parts video games, acoustic guitars and love.
10. “Such Great Heights” by The Postal Service No mixtape is complete without Ben Gibbard, I always say. Some may argue that the Iron and Wine cover of this song is more romantic because it’s all slowed down and poignant, but this original version has the beats and excitement of a new relationship.
Want to add these songs to your playlist? Check out our Grooveshark.
What are your go-to mixtape jams? What songs remind you of your crush? What playlist would you like to see next week?