Hope y’all are having a great week, Lovelies. For those of you going into finals week, I feel your pain. When I get serious about study time, I plug in my headphones and turn on my favorite rap music. Most rap crews have a featured rap princess, so here’s a playlist highlighting some of rap’s greatest women.
1. “Dixon’s Girl” – Dessa Rapper and slam poet Dessa is a member of Minnesota hip-hop collective Doomtree. Because of her spoken word background and the production level of her records, her songs have a raw and honest feeling.
2. “Ready or Not” – The Fugees Obviously The Fugees are a group of predominately men, but Lauryn Hill really makes this track as great as it is. Her voice, both singing and rapping, is strong, but smooth at the same time.
3. “Up Out My Face” – Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey This duet is so much fun because we get to hear Nicki bring out Mariah’s playful side. This pairing seemed unexpected to me at first, but both women are ridiculously fabulous and talented.
4. ”Let Me Blow Your Mind” – Eve ft. Gwen Stefani Another awesome and unexpected team was Eve and Gwen. This track came out in 2001, at the peak of both ladies’ careers. This song acknowledges their presence across a range of genres and tells listeners that they aren’t going anywhere.
5. ”Work It” – Missy Elliot Missy is one of the greatest rappers the music industry has seen yet. Who can listen to this song without dancing? Also, Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester owes Missy credit for making colored track suits fashionable.
Want to add these songs to your playlist? Check out our Grooveshark.
Who are some of your favorite female rappers? What do you listen to while you study?