We all know that Christmas is on its way, but here’s a little nugget for us Jewish Lovelies. We may be a tiny percent of the population, but there are certainly a number of folks we can brag about lighting the menorah with! Hypothetically, of course. Most of the big names are pretty well publicized already (Adam Sandler, Scarlett Johansson, Mila Kunis, etc.), but here are some others you may not have known about. I sure didn’t!
1. Helena Bonham-Carter. Yep, our very own Bellatrix Lestrange is Jewish on her mother’s side! Helena’s maternal grandmother was from an upper-class Jewish family; her sister actually married a man from the Rothschild family, which is of Jewish origins, extremely prominent, very wealthy and considered nobility in several countries.
2. John Francis Daley. OK, not a huge name, but I watch him on TV every week and had no idea all those Christmas episodes aren’t true to his life. You may know him as Sam Weir from Freaks and Geeks back in the day, but right now he’s Lance Sweets on Bones. He also wrote (and acted in) the movie Horrible Bosses.
3. Drake (Aubrey Graham). Tell me I’m not the only one who is absolutely floored by this news! Though, when I think about it… Aubrey Graham? That name should’ve given me a clue. His father is black, and his mother is white and Jewish. They divorced when Drake (or, uh, Aubrey) was five. He was raised by his mother, went to a Jewish day school, and had a Bar Mitzvah.
4. Daniel Radcliffe. How I could be such a Harry Potter fan for so long and not know Dan is Jewish is beyond me. His mother is Jewish and, though Dan considers himself to be an atheist, he says he’s proud of his Jewish heritage. Rock on!
4. Jason Isaacs. Another Harry Potter star whose Jewishness escaped me! Lucius Malfoy here grew up in a tight Jewish community in Liverpool that his great-grandparents helped found, and attended a Jewish day school. When his family moved to London, his friends and synagogue were attacked by anti-Semites, so his parents immigrated to Israel.
6. Laura Prepon. That ’70s Show‘s own “Hot Donna” has Jewish roots as well. Her father was Russian Jewish and her mother is Irish Catholic. Okay, so technically these things are supposed to be inherited from your mother’s side, but I’m not picky. Jewish is Jewish, right?
Who are your favorite Jewish celebrities?