Collegehumor recently ran a post about what seven deadly sins the most popular websites of today make us commit. As if we weren’t already feeling guilty about all our hours online everyday.
1. Facebook causes Envy. People stalk their friends, stirring up jealousy at what they have on recent activities. Just a few weeks ago, I had almost 10 status updates on my newsfeed that alerted me that I was missing out on an awesome Taylor Swift concert. This wasn’t what I needed to read as I sat down to read a philosophy book and then write an outline for a final paper. Thanks a lot, Facebook, for making my procrastinating into a T. Swift dance party in my dorm where I pretended to be at the concert instead of stuck at home.
2. Netflix causes Sloth. Netflix makes so many movies and television shows available to the public that someone could spend the rest of their life on the couch. While I love TV as much as the next girl, this website becomes a little dangerous when you (meaning me) can spend a whole Saturday watching episode after episode of Vampire Diaries without ever having to move to change a DVD.
3. Ebay causes Greed. Instant shopping comes full of deals so you can purchase even more. Beware: may create shopaholics. My mom and aunts have fallen into this website’s clutches, but instead of becoming buyers, they’ve become sellers. They have a whole factory-like system where they write descriptions, take pictures, box and mail every item, raising money for a vacation to a random location of their choosing. They got to go to Iceland a couple of years ago with all the money they made, feeding that insanity.
4. Twitter causes Pride. Self-promotion at its finest, people are constantly tweeting their latest thoughts, no matter how trivial. I know my latest tweet alerted everyone who follows me that I wish I was on a tropical island right now. This message, while far from earth-shattering and slightly (alright, really) pointless, is still floating around the Internet whether you care or not.
5. Seamless causes Gluttony. Food just a couple of keyboard strokes away on this food delivery site. I just love being able to order my food and only have to move from my bed to go downstairs and grab it from a delivery person. Instant food for those hangover days when all you need is grease. Yum.
6. 4chan causes Wrath. Apparently 4chan is a discussion board where users often attack other websites and Internet users. I’ve never actually used 4chan but some brief research showed it to be a site of discussion boards on a variety of subtopics under the categories of Japanese culture, interests, creative, adult, other and miscellaneous. Users can comment and post pictures to these topics and have a conversation with other people about them to make an entire Internet-based community with similar interests.
7. YouPorn causes Lust. This is a porn website. I know nothing about it and had to read all the comments on the original post to figure out what website the picture was from. You can guess the rest.
Do you agree with these website’s descriptions? What deadly sins are you guilty of on the Internet?