My dad and I love everything TV and movie, so you think it would be easy to figure out what to buy each other when the holidays come around, right? Unfortunately this isn’t true. I’m absolutely hopeless at picking out gifts, because he always goes out and buys what he wants before I have the chance to get it for him. For all of you in a similar pickle, here’s a couple of gifts that the TV/movie buff might not have already splurged on himself.
Universal Remote Control URC-WR7 7 Device Remote Control with 4 Favorite Channel Buttons, $29.99 from Amazon
1. Unviersal remote A remote that works the TV and DVD at the same time, as well as almost any other device you might need to work from the couch. This is a must have for a TV/movie junkie who likes to settle into the couch for a day of relaxation and minimal movement while enjoying his/her favorite cinematography. There’s no more hide and seek for the many remotes needed to work the DVD player, turn on the cable and change the television volume, thus allowing you to completely enjoy the intense plots without worry.
Doctor Who Tardis Police Public Call Box T-Shirt Size : X-Large, from Amazon
2. Poster/T-Shirt/random paraphernalia Pick a movie that has special meaning to the two of you and get them a gift connected to that. Pictured here is a Doctor Who T-shirt because Doctor Who is a TV show that my geeky dad and I watch together (which drives my mom insane because she hates it). Would my dad actually wear the shirt? Maybe not, but I know he would appreciate the thought that went into it.
3. Dinner and a show Give your filmophile friend a homemade gift certificate promising them dinner and a movie of their choosing whenever they want to go. I did this one year for my dad by attaching it to his favorite movie candy, peanut butter M&M’s and he loved it… although I think he forgot to actually use the “certificate.” Also, please pretend the picture above says movies and dinner instead of babysitting, because I liked that it looked like a movie ticket and couldn’t not use the image.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close MTI: A Novel, $14.95 from Amazon
4. Books There are a lot of books being turned into movies these days and a lot of movie buffs like to read the book before they see the movie. Google around a bit to find out which ones your friend might be interested in. I know I put Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on my wish list this year.
Samsung SMX-F50BN SD Camcorder with 65x Zoom (Black), $161.09 from Amazon
5. Video camera I’m putting this one last because it’s probably out of most of our price ranges. However, if you have a couple of people who want go in on a present together, it might be a good idea to look into getting your friend a video camera so they can make their own movies.
What would you buy for a TV/movie buff?