A couple of years ago I turned to the trusty Internet to get me some wedding know-how — I was planning my wedding! However, I found it hard to find the gems in the wedding blog landscape. There was too much bridezilla and/or conventionality, not enough creative ideas and inspiration. Seeing the same strapless Vera Wang over and over again got old. Luckily, I found a handful of original sites that were truly fun to read, inspired me, and even two years after I got hitched — I still read.
1. East Side Bride My absolute favorite wedding blogger! Known as ESB, the anonymous blogger gives a lot of “real talk” advice to those who write in asking for her help. She cuts to the point in her advice like a no-B.S. big sister, and I love her for it. Even her blog’s tagline is hilarious: “An evil club of mean hipster brides.” She also likes to think outside of the box when it comes to wedding fashion, and regularly features gorgeous jewelry, too.
Example Post: I Don’t Want Him to Walk Me Down the Aisle
2. Snippet & Ink You know inspiration boards? A lot of people use them for every day things, but people planning weddings love them. Snippet & Ink is a one-stop shop for the best inspiration boards, photos and details of real weddings. They have a great back-archive of their inspiration boards, too, so if you decide you like a certain color you can search for an inspiration board!
Example Post: Real Wedding: Alex & Mike
3. Rock N’ Roll Bride Written by a pink-haired and tattooed Brit named Kat Williams, this blog has tons of sass to go along with its beautiful photos. The site that proclaims, “Your big day, the rock n’ roll way,” features tips, photoshoots, and real weddings that don’t adhere to the norm. Kat explains, “My aim is to provide a little haven of kick ass weddingness in a cookie cutter, pastel and often puke-worthy wedding world. If you’ve ever picked up a bridal magazine and felt queasy or trawled the internet and felt disheartened by what you didn’t find well, my friend, you are in the right place!”
Example Post: How to Make Your Own Fabric Flower Bouquet
4. Little Winter Bride A cute blog run by a woman named Didi whose own wedding I lusted after (oh, how I wanted violets!), she has impeccable taste and great style boards as well as informative links. She lives between New York and Milan with her husband, and she blends the two sensibilities seamlessly. She has also has a great eye for vintage bridal finds on the Internet!
Example Post: Wedding Style: Winter Red & Green
5. The Offbeat Bride One of the most successful bloggers out there, the Offbeat Bride’s Ariel has already published a book of the same name. She features lots of DIY, money-saving tips, and best of all: Real weddings that don’t adhere to the conventional. Even if you think you’ll have a traditional wedding (mine skewed pretty tradish), there are definitely interesting ideas to consider here, and I love seeing photos of people having their dream wedding – even if that means it includes a Star Wars theme or Halloween costumes!
Example Post: Non-Floral Wedding Centerpieces
I love reading about all the happiness of weddings and cute ideas even though I’m not planning one! Weddings and planning should be about celebrating and fun, which I love to see and read about. And when one of my friends gets engaged, I’ll have loads of inspiration for them and can pass along these sites, too.
What do you think, Lovelies? Do you have any wedding blogs you love?