As a teenager, I thought I could do no wrong. But now, looking back on my teenage years, I can’t help but wish I could go back in time and tell myself a few things I never realized until now. Here are five things I would I could tell my teenage self.
1. That self tanner looks awful. I used to get so mad at my mom for telling me my self-tanner looked horrible. I didn’t know how to apply it and I would use a shade that was way too dark for my skin. Since I also used it incorrectly, I would be left with a dark line of it on my chin. I look back at pictures of myself in that phase now and just cringe.
2. Real friends won’t hurt you. You know those girls who you hang out with every day? Don’t feel bad when you second guess whether or not they’re your true friends, they are not. True friends will not make fun of your body, your values, and your life.
3. Don’t be so serious. You may think you’re grown up now, but you’re not done growing just yet. Don’t be afraid to be wrong, take chances and sometimes make mistakes. You’re a teenager. It is a good thing to be responsible, but it is also important to loosen up and have fun. You don’t have to be so serious all of the time.
4. Don’t be self-conscious. If you could see what your body looks like now, you will know that you should treasure how you look today. You may be taller than the other girls, but that is not a bad thing. Embrace it! Don’t feel embarrassed about how you look in a bikini. In a few years, you will have cellulite, will have gained 15 pounds, and will be wishing you look how you looked in high school. If you have confidence, no one will know you’re doubting your appearance. (That is a picture of me in high school wearing a sweatshirt at the beach. Seriously, Rebecka?)
5. Be proud! You’re on the right path. While all of those girls from high school spend their college weekends getting wasted and hooking up with strangers, you end up going the opposite way. You made the Dean’s List, you’re close with your family, you’re going to graduate college (while they’re still working on getting all of their credits) and you have an awesome boyfriend. You did the right thing!
Do you have anything you wish you could have told your younger self, Lovelies?