This weekend, I went to the Honda Civic Tour out in Jones Beach (probably the worst venue I’ve ever been to). I was super excited to finally get to see Blink 182, a little excited for My Chemical Romance (really little) and super stoked for Manchester Orchestra.
There was one problem though; many people were violating the rules of concert-going:
1. Don’t wear the shirt of the band or artist you’re going to see. You’ll look super lame. Instead opt for comfortable clothing that you aren’t afraid of getting drinks spilled on.
2. Wear the right kind of shoes, preferably closed toe flats. You’re going to be standing for awhile, seeing as a lot of venues don’t have seats. Don’t put your feet through the abuse that is wearing heels to a concert.
3. You don’t need to touch people inappropriately just because you think no one else will notice. Don’t be a creep, guys!
4. Stop taking so many cellphone photos and videos. You can end up paying a lot of money to go to shows; they aren’t cheap! You should be enjoying the experience rather than trying to record the whole thing so that you can relive it later. But do use cellphones to text friends you might have lost in the crowd.
5. Don’t talk during the whole thing! Unless the band is off stage, and they’re setting up for the next band to go on, don’t do it. I can’t begin to express how annoyed I get when the band is halfway through my favorite song and some asshole is talking loudly trying to be heard by the person next to them. It’s a concert, not brunch; talk afterward.
6. Don’t sing out loud continuously, don’t sing out loud super obnoxiously; but do sing along.
7. Don’t shout song requests. They have set-lists already planned out; they know what they’re going to play. The only time song requests are acceptable is when the band asks the crowd.
8. Don’t start a mosh or circle pit outside of the designated area for them. If someone falls you should definitely help them up; no need for you to be a jerk.
9. No making out. This isn’t your bedroom; if you wanted to get it on with your significant other you should have stayed home or waited until after the concert is over.
10. Make sure you stay hydrated! It can get pretty hot in the crowd, and you’ll definitely get sweaty. Make sure you’re drinking your water.
Do you have any rules you follow when going to concerts?