Neil Pasricha is a half-glass-full kinda guy. He’s experienced some pretty crappy moments in the past few years, including a divorce, the suicide of a friend and experience loneliness when he moved to a new place. But even though all of that, he’s managed to not be a Debbie Downer and see the good in life as evident in his blog, 1000 Awesome Things. Since June 2008 he’s been counting down the awesome and random things that happen to us in our everyday lives.
Some of Pasricha’s awesome things:
- #990 – Picking up a q and a u at the same time in Scrabble – as a newly addicted Words With Friends player, I can appreciate a good letter picking, considering I’m currently getting my butt kicked in WWF thanks to my sister, cousin, college dormmate and dodgeball friend.
- #258 – Saying thanks – I get pretty peeved when I’m driving and let a person in front of me and they neglect to do “the wave” as a way of saying “Hey, thanks for not being a jerk and letting me in!” so I’m a big fan of #258.
- #296 – Making a baby laugh – In the words of Pasricha, this is awesome because “you know they’re not faking it.” I’ve been hanging with my cousin’s 5-month-old daughter recently and can make her laugh just by making silly noises. Getting her to laugh basically takes me doing anything that makes me look like an idiot, but I don’t care because that gummy smile and belly laugh is awesome.
Here’s what I would put on my list of awesome things:
- When your horoscope actually relates to things going on in your life
- Winning a dodgeball game in dominating fashion
- Hearing a song you haven’t heard in a long time and still knowing all of the words
- Getting a letter via-snail mail, not e-mail
- Those times in your life when you realize life really is good
What would be on your list of awesome things?