Everybody has some kind of gift or talent, but let’s face it, some talents are more practical or impressive than others. Although I’m happy with my gifts, I wouldn’t say no to being a Renaissance woman and becoming a winner at everything. I could always pick up some new skills, but the learning process would be so much quicker if I had a natural tendency for those things to begin with. Here’s what I wish I had a knack for:
1. Impressions. Talk about an awesome party trick. Since I’m quiet and insecure in big crowds, I’d love to entertain others by mimicking quirky celebrities. I’d also love to do a YouTube video of myself talking in a number of foreign accents.
2. Being able to learn languages quickly. I’d love to be a polyglot. Wouldn’t it be amazing to travel around the world without the help of a translator or a language book? If I knew over five languages (right now I can speak only English fluently….fail), I’d either become a super successful businesswoman, or I’d become a scholar. I’d also love to read literature that was translated into English, such as Pablo Neruda’s poetry, in its original language.
3. Songwriting and performing. Do I even need to explain this one? Every time I listen to a good song, I wish I were musical enough to write and perform a creative cover.
4. Dancing. I’m a terrible dancer. My rhythm’s pathetic and my coordination’s laughable. How I would love to go to clubs without embarrassing myself. I swear, when I’m at a club, every other pickup line I get is from a guy who offers to teach me some dance moves and to help me relax. So embarrassing….I’d rather be one of those girls who can take the floor without looking like a drunken try-hard.
5. Illustration. I could make cute hand-drawn cards and work at Disney or Pixar.
6. Charisma. Does this count as a talent? Maybe it’s more of a gift. Whatever the case, I get tired of being super awkward, self-conscious and rambling in real life. I’d love to be so likable, charming and smooth so that I could talk my way out of (or into) anything.
7. Cutting wit. How I’d love to deliver perfectly-timed, eloquent comebacks to people who throw shade at me.
8. Photographic memory. Studying would be so much easier if I could read something once and remember it perfectly just by imagining that page in front of me.
9. Being a dog whisperer. For the most part, my dog is cute and well-behaved, but she won’t obey me when I give commands or ask her to come over. I’d love to connect with animals on a deeper level, perhaps summon them to do my bidding….
10. Cooking. My grandma’s an incredible cook. She throws seemingly random ingredients into a pot and produces a sumptuous meal. If only I’d inherited her ability to recook leftovers into a magnificent feast, or to sample a dish and know exactly how to modify it.
Are you happy with your talent? What talents do you wish you had?