When it comes to midnight snacking, I always get cravings for something sweet. Most of the time I resist it because I need to wake up early anyway, so going to sleep is the better option.
However, during late night study sessions or other reasons for insomina, I like to think of healthy alternatives for dessert rather than just a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.
First I’ll mention some healthy replacements, where instead of:
Ice cream – frozen yogurt
Milk Chocolate – dark chocolate
White Flour – wheat flour for baking cookies (and cut the sugar amount in half!)
White Eggs- Use half the amount, and use whole eggs
Now for some snack ideas:
1. My go-to late night healthy dessert is yogurt (or Greek yogurt, it is sweeter) with strawberries and blueberries (or whatever your favorite fruits are.)
2. Frozen yogurt, fat-free jello or pudding with fruit too!
3. Home-made frozen yogurt sandwhiches. Plop some frozen yogurt between two gram crackers and wrap it up in plastic wrap. Then throw them in the freezer until solid.
4. Mix fat-free yogurt (I always use vanilla), peanut butter, and brown sugar together. Use it as dipping sauce for cut up apples.
5. Skim milk with fat-free chocolate/strawberry syrup