I previously posted a question in the advice section asking about ways to bond with my boyfriend's mom. This is something that I'm sure a lot of other girls have questions about too. So, in thanks to all that offered advice, I compiled a list of ways you can bond with the potential Mother-in-Law.
1. Find a common interest. Once you find something that you both are interested in and use that as a tool to bond. If you both like to shop or maybe watch the same television show, this can be your way of getting closer with her. If you both love to shop, you can maybe suggest a shopping trip, or if you both love to watch Grey's Anatomy, maybe you can suggest watching it together one night. Finding small things you have in common can take you a long way as far as getting closer with your love's mom.
2. Show genuine interest in her. If you ask about her day or how she's doing, this can really spark conversation. She'll notice your genuine interest in her and you guys can be closer as a result of that when she shows genuine interest in you as well. This doesn't always work of course if you aren't actually interested in her because you don't want to be fake. But if you're serious about wanting to bond with your boyfriend's mom, then you should be interested in her and a natural bond and relationship can come along with that.
3.Talk about your boyfriend’s childhood. Many have suggested that a good way to bond is to talk to your boyfriend's mother about his childhood and laugh at things from stories to old photos. The good thing about this is that it allows you to talk and bond over something you both are interested in, which is him. This also serves a double purpose of allowing you to learn more about your boyfriend. You can even tell his mom about some of the things you did when you were younger.
4. Talk about his mom’s childhood/ how she was when she was younger. Another great suggestion was to talk to his mom about when she was younger. She can share some stories with you about her youth and you can share your own stories in return (nothing too crazy, of course, you don't want her to get the wrong impression!). It will be fun bonding over stories of what things were like when she was growing up and you really get to know his mom this way and possibly even share some jokes.
5. Help her cook. Not everyone loves to cook but if your boyfriend's mom does you can try to help out. Even if you don't know how to cook, maybe cooking with her will give you the opportunity to learn because everyone needs to know how to make at least a few basic things. She'll see that you genuinely want to help out and through cooking you'll get to spend a lot of time with her.
6. Be yourself. Most importantly, you should be yourself and everything else will follow. You don't want to end up changing who you are just to bond with his mom. When you are yourself, she'll realize that you are being genuine and most likely won't think you are trying too hard to impress her (with the exception of those judgmental mothers floating around out there). You'll be happier with the true relationship you have with her this way instead of putting up a facade just to get her to like you and you'll be constantly trying to pretend to be someone you're not. If she doesn't like you for who you are, you're probably better off not having any relationship with her.
Even with all of these different ways to bond, there are some mothers who don't want to let go of their baby boy or for other inexplicable reasons may hold some sort of bias against you. In these cases you have to remember that not everyone is going to like you and that as long as you're happy with who you are and your boyfriend is happy with who you are, things will be fine. You are dating him and not his mother.
What are some ways you bond with your boyfriend's mom, Lovelies?