1. He puts you first in his life, consistently. You’re the person he takes to shows when he has an extra concert ticket, and you’re the first he comes to to share good news. When you need your man, he’s there, and you never have to worry that he’d rather be with other people than you, because he lets you know with his words and actions that you’re his priority.
2. You feel relaxed around him. I’ve had some bad boyfriends in the past, and throughout those relationships, I always felt a sense of unease, sometimes physically, like a stomachache, but other times just a heightened sense of stress. I’d always be worrying, “Does he still like me? Where do I stand? Is he going to break up with me?” It’s not just you being a worrywart, because a guy who’s right for you will do the opposite; you’re calm and happy, knowing you can rely on him day in and day out, not fretting about whether he’s about to dump you.
3. He takes your side. If there’s a dispute between your circle of friends, he’s got your back. When you tell him you’re unhappy about something in the relationship, he makes strides to change it, instead of getting defensive. This quality is quintessential to a good marriage or partnership some day; when life gets rough, you know you can count on him to support you (and vice versa!).
4. Your conversations get deeper and deeper, not more shallow. Do you and your man talk for hours about politics, world events, religion, your life goals, your families, and everything under the sun? It’s a great sign that you both feel safe being yourselves, and that your bond together is growing increasingly intimate. If your conversations, on the other hand, have become limited to Lindsay Lohan gossip and deciding which pizza place to order from, you might be in relationship peril.
5 He’s got tons of money. No, just kidding. But you should pay attention to how he manages his money. Is he responsible with spending? Is he too extravagant or too stingy? Sure, his money is his money, but a man who’s into you for the long-term won’t be blowing gobs of cash on fancy things for himself all the time; he’ll be saving to plan a future with you, be it for a romantic getaway, a house or a pretty sparkly thing.
6. He just wants to be around you. He texts and calls just to say hi; he wants to see you whenever you’re both free; he stops by your work or dorm room to chat and see how your day was. You’ve got yourself one devoted boyfriend! Don’t take him for granted, sister.
If you’ve found your guy, how did YOU know he was the right one for you?